Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The experiment

I woke up yesterday and I realised I still lived in the first decade of the 21st century. I thought I was with it, I thought I knew what was what online. I use Facebook, I get all my recipes off of Google and tell people I invented them myself and I now even argue with my parents via Skype.

But I am not of this new decade. I still think Twitter is for Aston Kutcher to tell us what he had for breakfast. I mainly use Facebook to share my views on the weather and post drunken photos that would have been better off hidden before social media was invented. To me, LinkedIn is full of out of work weirdoes and blogging is the domain of the failed writer.

I still live in the world where social media is a bit of a laugh where blogging is the domain of the disturbed, the drunk and the angry. To us in the noughties, Blogs, Tweets, Links and Posts are primarily for people to share YouTube clips of children being hit by stuff.

So I need to speed up and realize that this isn't the case. Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, blogging - they are all tools to get the word out, to get the word around and to find out what the word even is. But it isn't as simple as logging onto my Twitter feed a bit more often and to tell people what I had for breakfast, it's about linking up with people, trading ideas and yes, laughing together at terrified fat kids.

So this is my social media experiment. Step one: find out what all the fuss is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment