Friday, November 26, 2010

A lot of goings on, it seems.





One of my main gripes against social media is that it isn’t very social. I mean it is social; it’s just that not many people I know socially use it. I asked, like all my friends and none of them Twitter and one of them thought LinkedIn was a website to buy sausages.

The problem is I have been asking the wrong people.

According to Jake Hird at eConsultancy 175m people log onto Facebook every day. That’s more than the population of Pakistan, and there are loads of people in Pakistan.

Thanks to @nickburcher, I found that there are 106m Twitter accounts, of which 15m are active. That’s a lot of text speech, in fact there are 640 tweets every second, and bearing in mind a M134 minigun only shoots about 50 bullets a second, there’s a lot of twittering going on as well as facebookin'.*

As for blogging, 15% of bloggers spend 10 or more hours a week doing what they love, which according to a scary coach is around the amount of time one would have to be working to be able to handle a triathlon (ironically more blogging means less chance of being able to handle even a junior triathlon but still, I digress).

Interestingly, 7 out of 10 bloggers mention brands without being pushed. Of course many mention the brand with the prefix ‘here’s why I hate…’ but still, all news is good news.

With all this twittering, facebooking and blogging it’s a miracle anything is done in the English-speaking world. But then maybe all the social networking is getting stuff done?




*That said, the top Twitterer on Earth is Ashton Kutcher, so there’s room for all those involved to clean up the network.


No comments:

Post a Comment