Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Lighten up LinkedIn

I’ve just joined LinkedIn and it was great to find loads of my former contacts and colleagues on there but of all the social media outlets I have begun to explore, LinkedIn is the most tedious.

Like a bad business meeting, LinkedIn is full of boring people with little to say. There are a lot of people trying to be overtly ‘professional’, something that turns me off right away. It has the feel of a conference where no one really knows each other and not many people really want to be there. It’s dull, basically. This is why I have come up with a few ways that LinkedIn could spice itself up:


  1. Create Facebook style games
Yes, you may have been down in your half-year results compared to your business rival but you kicked her ass on LinkedIn Farmville. So what if you lost that big contract to the other supplier? He sucks at LinkedIn Angry Birds!

  1. Add an anonymous gossip wall
Imagine the fun you could have posting all those little peccadilloes online to share with your network? Yes, it could destroy people’s lives and yes, it could lead to lawsuits galore but it would be fun, wouldn’t it?

  1. Be more truthful with how you really know contacts
At the moment you have to have been a ‘friend’ or a ‘colleague’ or have ‘done business together’ – come on, let’s tell the truth: I want to be contacts with x because ‘I want to ask him out’ or ‘she annoys me sooooo much but I love seeing the stupid stuff she posts online’ or I want to be contacts with x because ‘once me and him got super wasted and went to this strip bar and oh my God, it was off the hook!’.

  1. Rate contacts
How cool would it be to give that dirtball you had to deal with last month one star? Oh, or that bitchy secretary that never passes on your messages? Also, LinkedIn rewards could also be given in lieu of real bonuses, a great tool for those stingy bosses during the holiday season: “I know you expected a bonus this year but look I gave you two extra stars! Merry Christmas!”

You may argue that all these suggestions would lead to animosity, fights, time-wasting and relationship break-ups - but surely that's what office life is all about?

No comments:

Post a Comment